Notice of Annual General Meeting
The Annual General Meeting of Junee Rhythm and Rail Festival Incorporated shall be held on May 15, 2018.
All are welcome to attend our Annual General Meeting, and all Financial Members of the Association are encouraged to attend.
ps: Did you know it only costs $1 to join the Association, which gives you voting rights at the Annual General Meeting.
Where & When
Tuesday, May 15, 2018
Junee Ex-Services Memorial Club
- Attendance & Apologies
- Confirmation of Minutes from 2017 AGM
- Business Arising from 2017 Minutes
- President’s Report
- Treasurer’s Report
- Special Resolutions
- MOTION: Replace the exisiting Junee Rhythm and Rail Festival Incorporated Constitution (adopted August 27, 2015) with the standard Model Rules (2016).
- MOTION: Change the name of the Association from “Junee Rhythm and Rail Festival Incorporated” to either “RnR Incorporated” OR “Junee RnR Incorporated” OR “Rhythm n Rail Incorporated”.
- Election of Committee
- Vice President
- Ordinary Members x3
Extract from Constitution regarding Business to be conducted at AGM:
(28.3) No business other than that specified in the notice convening a general meeting is to be transacted at the meeting except, in the case of an annual general meeting, business which may be transacted under subclause 25.2.
(28.4) A member desiring to bring any business before a general meeting may give notice in writing of that business to the secretary who shall include that business in the next notice calling a general meeting given after receipt of the notice from the member.
Background on Special Resolutions
Changing the Constitution
The current Constitution is based on the 2010 Model Rules, with many custom amendments and was adopted August 27, 2015. It is now out of date, doesn’t accurately reflect our current requirements and actually contains a number of errors.
Major differences between current Constitution and Model Rules include:
- Quorum for Committee meetings is reduced from Five (present in person), to Three.
- Allows for Committee meetings to occur at two or more venues using approved technology (eg video chat or conference call) and those using the approved technology are deemed to present and thus eligible to vote on motions.
- Allowance of two or more venues also applies for General Meetings.
- Changes the Association’s Financial Year to standard July 1 – June 30 Financial Year, which will reduce pressure on the Committee currently having to close the books just two weeks after the Festival.
- Specifies that the Association is non-profit, which should help with funding, grants and sponsorship opportunities.
- Postal or Electronic voting is permitted for general meetings, if desired. Proxies are still prohibited.
- Removes Mission Statement and Vision Statement from Constitution, which allows these to updated, if, and as required, without calling of a Special General Meeting.
- Future updates to the Model Rules will automatically apply, but we always retain the right to adopt a new “custom” Constitution, if so desired.
Change of Association Name
- The full Legal Name of the Association is long and unwieldily.
- It doesn’t match our marketing and branding – The current marketing omits the “a” and “d” from the word “and” and this can cause confusion at times.
- If we wish to add the words “Junee” and/or “Festival” to MARKETING material we still can, as long as we mention our new Legal Name at least once.
- We must supply the Office of Fair Trading with THREE options, in order of preference, in case there is an existing conflict or other objection(s). Hence the provision of the three proposed names.
Nominations for Committee
Any financial member of the Association may nominate for a Committee position.
Extract from Constitution regarding Composition and Election of Committee:
16. Composition and membership of committee
(16.1) The committee is to consist of:
(16.1.1) the office-bearers of the RnR, and
(16.1.2) Three (3) ordinary committee members, and(16.1.3) each of whom is to be elected at the annual general meeting of the RnR.
(16.2) The maximum number of committee members is to be seven (7).
(16.3) The office-bearers of the RnR are as follows:
(16.3.1) the president,
(16.3.2) the vice-president,
(16.3.3) the secretary,
(16.3.4) the treasurer.
(16.4) A committee member may hold up to 2 offices (other than both the president and vice-president offices).
(16.5) Each member of the committee is, subject to this constitution, to hold office until the conclusion of the annual general meeting following the date of the member’s election, but is eligible for re-election.
17. Election of committee members
(17.1) Nominations of candidates for election as office-bearers of the RnR or as ordinary committee members:
(17.1.1) shall be made in writing on the official form, signed by 2 members of the RnR (one proposer and one seconder) and accompanied by the written consent of the candidate of his acceptance of the nomination.
(17.1.2) completed nomination forms are to be forwarded to the secretary upon closing.
(17.1.3) the secretary shall keep a record of completed nomination forms.
(17.1.4) nominations close immediately preceding the annual general meeting.
(17.2) If insufficient nominations are received to fill all vacancies on the committee, the candidates nominated are taken to be elected and further nominations are to be received at the annual general meeting.
(17.3) If insufficient further nominations are received, any vacant positions remaining on the committee are taken to be casual vacancies.
(17.4) If the number of nominations received is equal to the number of vacancies to be filled, the persons nominated are taken to be elected.
(17.5) If the number of nominations received exceeds the number of vacancies to be filled, a secret ballot is to be held.
(17.6) The ballot for the election of office-bearers and ordinary committee members of the committee is to be conducted at the annual general meeting in such usual and proper manner as the committee may direct.
(17.7) A person nominated as a candidate for election as an office-bearer or as an ordinary committee member of the RnR shall be a member of the RnR.